Stoford is working with award-winning Birmingham-based Glenn Howells Architects to devise a new vision for Typhoo Wharf, which aims to deliver one of Birmingham’s first net zero buildings in construction.
The Masterplan will be delivered in stages, and we will submit two separate planning applications:
- Application A seeks full planning permission for the part-demolition and refurbishment of the historic Typhoo Tea building and associated public realm, including a public route to the west of the building, a public square and a temporary pedestrian route to the north linking to the HS2 Curzon Street station.
- Application B seeks planning permission for the wider masterplan area and will set the context for future applications to be delivered. Masterplan works are likely to include demolition of some buildings (in whole or in part), and delivery of new commercial and residential buildings and public realm improvements.
We intend to submit Application A to Birmingham City Council in September 2022. Application B (the wider masterplan area) will be submitted later in 2022 and discussions regarding design are ongoing with Birmingham City Council.
This consultation invites feedback on both applications to ensure that the local community’s issues and ideas are considered as part of the planning process. We will be providing more detail on Application B in the coming months.
There are also emerging proposals for 'meanwhile uses' within the wider site, which will be prevalent when the new BBC Birmingham building has opened and proposals for the wider area are progressing.
A PHASED APPROACH
Application A - Delivering the BBC Birmingham headquarters – Typhoo Tea Factory building and associated public realm
As part of the first phase of development we are proposing:
- The reinvigoration of the former Typhoo Tea Factory building to deliver a new 84,001 sq ft purpose-built headquarters for the BBC.
- Delivery of public realm enhancements including new social spaces around Typhoo Wharf and the adjoining canal basin.
- Improved connectivity to the wider area, linking the site to public transport hubs and encouraging active travel.
- New landscaped areas and urban growing space within the wider site (meanwhile uses until detailed proposals for the wider site are developed).
Click here to find out more about the proposals for the BBC Birmingham headquarters.
Application B - Reinvigoration of the wider site - Typhoo Wharf
The wider scheme will see the reinvigoration of more than 10 acres of underutilised land around the Typhoo Wharf site, including:
- Delivery of new public realm including social spaces around Typhoo Wharf and the adjoining canal basin.
- Delivery of up to 800,000 sq ft of new residential and commercial accommodation over the next five to ten years.
- Improved connectivity throughout the site, as well as linking the site to public transport hubs and encouraging active travel.
Click here to find out more about our plans for the wider masterplan area.